Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Outraged Maybe Disappointed Yes

So I am scrolling through my usual reading sources, and on MSN I see an article about a white police officer and corn rows in his hair. The gist of this story is that a white mail police officer in Philadelphia showed up for work with corn rows in his hair and was told to get a hair cut by a black supervisor (Article). Now I could go down the easy outrage road and complain that the white officer was singled out by a black supervisor or to the writers knowledge no other officers black, white, male or female was required to do the same or how no one seems to be sticking up for this officer in how it appears to be unfair (the writer notes that their are black male officers wearing corn rows) but I would rather go down another route. First let me commend the officer in question for his professionalism so far in this matter, he did get a hair cut and he hasn't made any statements to the press so far (unlike me I would have told them to talk to my lawyer). My disappointment is in the police department this officer works for. I have worked in the law enforcement field and I would agree that corn rows do not IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) look professional on anyone in the public sector especially those in uniform but to only enforce this on one officer is a sign of poor management. Now before anyone starts saying what about my rights of personal expression, when you work in uniform in law enforcement professionalism plays a large part in your ability to do your job effectively. As I have always been told your presence is the first step in your ability to control the outcome of a situation so if you look unprofessional to the citizens your are trying to help or control your abilities can be either consciously or unconsciously compromised. So my issue is not telling one police officer to get a hair cut it's with the department not telling all officers in the department to come into standards that make the whole department look professional. So to the officer in question I hope you sue the department and force them to bring attention to the poor management of the department and to the management DO YOUR FUCKING JOB AND MAKE YOUR OFFICERS LIVE UP TO THE HIGHER STANDARDS THE PUBLIC EXPECTS...

No comments:

Post a Comment